by Chad Hetlet Head Football coach at Glenbard West High School (Illinois). Coach Hetlet has been a defensive coordinator for 22 years and has never suffered a losing season. Chad has been a Head Coach for 12 seasons at 3 different schools; he has a career record of 130-28 and has been one of the quickest coaches to reach the 100 win mark in Illinois history.
The video is brought to you by and is a part of the Glazier Drive Coaching Systems.
Don’t ever get out-coached again! Glazier Drive has everything you need to prepare for your season; from minor adjustments, drills, & fundamentals to installing & servicing an entire system. It includes over 20 complete systems and 900 individual videos. You can even connect with our speakers, systems coaches, and thousands of other coaches across the country through our social platform. Start your free trial at GlazierDrive.com.
Why the 3-3 Defense?
- Gives maximum numbers to stop the running game
- Able to give a variety of looks
- Pre-snap movement creates confusion (Organized Chaos)
- Allows smaller faster athletes to be Successful
- Fun for the players!
- Attacks the pass protection weaknesses
- Creates negative yardage plays and turnovers
DEFINED: An Elite group of 11 attackers that pursue, swarm, and create opportunities going above and beyond the call of duty to destroy and terminate any offense in its path.
1 .Alignment and Assignment… know yours on every play!!!
2 Attack, Attack, Attack AND DEFEAT ALL BLOCKS… don’t wait
3. Pursue With reckless abandon!!!
4. Swarm tackle and finish with fury!!
5.Create turnovers.. .Get our ball!!! (most important of all)
HOW TO ACHIEVE GOALS
1. Starters, ‘Win team,” and Coaches work together with a sense of urgency
2. Use schemes and techniques that maximize cur DARKSIDE talents. (Keep it simple, do the few things we do perfectly and play FREE’!’)
3. Pay attention to detail
4. Be a student of the game.. practice, film, walk-through, meetings. Be proactive in your role as a player Prepare for perfection… don’t just talk about being perfect,
5. We strive for shut-outs no matter who we play…every week…no matter what!!!
As mentioned in the definition of the DARKSIDE, it takes a special (elite) player to do this job. You will only be called if you are willing to make the sacrifice to the other 10 players on the field. If you are ready to make this commitment, then bring it’ll Remember, we don’t defend…we ATTACK!
We will attack…….
Quarterback-Sack the QB. Force the QB out ot his comfort zone to make bad decisions and hurried throws. Intimidate the QB and eliminate his poise and confidence. Knock him down every chance you get!
Receivers-Torment them; knock them around on It ball is not in the air, we punish them and disrupt their timing. It they are ever lucky enough to catch the ball, destroy them!
Running Backs-pursue with passion, swarm, finish with fury, take back the ball! Pound and punish them on every play!
Offensive Lineman-complicate and confuse their blocking assignments by presenting different scenarios, Make them less aggressive by creating havoc up front!
Game Planning-Take away what our opponents do best. Force them to do something they don’t want to do. We will plan, prepare, and study our opponent better than anyone in the league.
Make them play by our rules!
The Football-lt is our ball, not theirs! On every play, there must be an authentic attempt at a rip or strip of the ball. If the ball does go in the air, we must snatch it away and score!
•At all levels, we tackle every single day.
•We will be the best tackling program in the WSC.
•Position specific drills that develop good habits when tackling. All drills will be explained and demonstrated properly.
•Safety come first!!! You Will learn to hit and tackle correctly it is the coaches’ job to make sure this happens. Head up and eyes open” The following statement 100% true and is printed on every helmet issue…
WARNING- No helmet can prevent all head or neck injuries a player might receive while playing football. Do not use this helmet to butt, ram, or spear an opposing player. This is in violation of the football rules and such use can result in severe head or neck injuries, paralysis or death to you and possible injury to your opponent.
7 POINTS OF TECHNIQUE FOR SUCCESS
•Chest on Thigh Boards & Butt Dovm
•Hands on Gun’s & Eyes on *s
•First Contact with Chest Plate (use Big)
•Drive “Riddell” through Chin
•Arms Explode up & Grab Cloth
•Square Hips and Run through Tackle (NEGATIVE YARDS)
Know and study…
1. Huddle-Where people line up in huddle (to determine strength quicker). Always be ready for no-huddle.
2. Key players/Personnel- Know who they go to and envision shutting down that threat. Also know who they go to in certain packages.
3. Formation/Counts/Alignment-Know what formations certain plays and what lanes they attack. Know if they like quick or long count and when they use. Look at line splits…this we encourage/discourage blitz attack.
4 Keys-Have vision through your key Interpret key quickly and attack.
1. Change cf QB and how it affects the game
2. Be aware Of cur/their substitutes, . can dictate how we both attack each Other
3. Watch for home-run play after •we have lost the ball on a sudden change… momentum
Down and Distance Awareness:
On the DARKSIDE, we Will always know the down and distance. This awareness Will help us to realize what formations/plays favored by the opponent
1 & 10
2 & 1,2 (waste)
2 & 3,4,5,6 (normal)
2 & 7 or more (long)
3 & 1,2 (short)
3 & 3,4,5 (medium)
3 & 6 or more (long)
Offensive Tendencies in reqards to Down and Distance:
1 & 10-Expect either pass or run. We Will use a combination run/pass defense. Good time to stem sound stunts to cause blocking problems.
2 & 1,2-Home run play
2 & 3,4,5,6 Most favor run, Will pass. Run defense With sound pass coverage.
2 & 7 or more-Pass plays. Pass defense with a strong rush.
3 & 1,2-Best offensive play…bread and butter. Best running defense with best personnel.
3 & 6> or more. More passing than running. Max pass coverage. Will blitz to cause pressure and disturb timing.
Part 2 will be posted on Wednesday March 8, 2017.