Teach your quarterback about the two outside inverts as he views the defense. This is a simple concept for counting defensive personnel and running to the side with the fewest defenders. Teach quarterback to read backside end man on the line of scrimmage for give or keep reads when running the gun option. If the defense shows you outside inverts to both sides, this means a six-man box, etc.
2 Back Gun Sets – Triple Option
Rules For Running The Two Back Options:
- Can run gun option plays to both open and tight sides. If defense gives you a 7 technique towards the Tight End side with an invert aligned outside you then can veer release the Tight End onto the outside invert and read 7 technique.
- Two backsets can be triple option plays; make sure not to run these plays into three defenders.
1 Back Gun Sets – Double Option
One way for defenses to take the triple option away is to run linebackers through the offensive line. This forces the offense into handing the ball off to the fullback. By giving the defense a look at the load option will force linebacker’s to have to play in a position to chase outside, or there will not be enough defenders to pursue the option wide. The load option or double option eliminates the read key and forces the 9- technique to be the option key. Usually the load option is pitched quickly and outside before the defense can react. Load option keeps the linebackers from playing tight into the L.O.S. thus, creating a softer defense in which to run your midline, isolation and zone plays.
Rules For Running 18 – 19 Load Option: Tight side and Openside
- Can run load option when your opponent has aligned with a 5 and 9-technique towards the tight end side. The purpose here is to get the trey block on the 5- technique, combo off to the playside linebacker. The quarterback will read the inside shoulder of the 9 technique. If an invert is aligned outside the 9-technique “check” to veer weak.
- Can run load option towards the openside when the defense has started to take the openside veer away with reducing five technique into a 4 technique or 4i. This play becomes a quick pitch of the outside invert. The key here is the ability when the defense reduces to combo with a Deuce using the openside guard and tackle.
- For best results run load option to a seven technique because of the combo trey block by the tackle and tight end to the playside linebacker. Quarterback will now read the outside invert.
Two and One Back Gun Option – Triple and Double
The two and one back gun creates a whole set of problems for the defense, it gives you another option when the defense has taken the inside running game away. The two back gun option gives you and inside run play, a quarterback keep on the outside, and a possible pitch off the outside invert or alley player.
Rules For Running A Gun Option Attack
- Depending upon the play called the quarterback will always have the option to read the backside defensive end; this is where the option read is created.
- You want to create several releases for the backside tackle or the tight end depending upon which side you are attempting to run the gun option read. Defensive end must react to either the quarterback or running backs movement thus, giving the quarterback his read.
- The quarterback as he rides his back towards the L.O.S. will visually look to the inside jersey number of the EMLOS to determine his give or pull read.
- If the inside jersey number of the EMLOS comes down then the quarterback will know that the EMLOS is reacting to the inside run play so he pulls the ball.
- If the quarterback sees that the inside jersey number of the EMLOS moving up the field he then will know that he is playing either the quarterback or pitch if in two backs so, he will give the ball.
- By giving the quarterback options on whether or not to give the ball or keep the ball will help in controlling the box and the amount of defenders that a defense will have to defense the inside run with.
- Using multiple formations and backfield sets forces the defense to be assignment sound.
- Option limits the defensive package.
- Using options reads helps you with the numbers game, gives proper blocking angles.
- Helps the passing game due to the fact it forces defense to use fewer coverages.
- If your opponent understands that you run the multiple option plays it eliminates as many blitzes, helps blitz pick-up in the passing game.
- Gun Option reads forces the defense to take time away from regular game preparations.
1. Quarterback Give – Inside Run
2. Quarterback Keep – Perimeter Run
3. Quarterback Pitch (must have two backs in the game to get the pitch option)
– Outside Run
When you add the play action passing game to this group, you create a balance to your offense. This philosophy dictates to the defense that it must remain sound against all three schemes. With the gun option game you are trying to create a balanced defense that is forced to play assignment football. If you can force the defense to do that it will open the rest of your offensive package up, thus, giving your players the best possible chance for success.
About the Author of this post:
Jerry Campbell has over 30 years of high school and college coaching experience. He has experience as a head coach, offensive coordinator, and various position coaches. He has written numerous football coaching articles in various publications, is the author of over 30 books on coaching football, and has produced 12 coaching video series. Additionally, he is a nationally sought after speaker on the coaching clinic circuit.